Search This Blog

Monday 24 June 2024

Social media and fiction

Social media isn't just in our lives ... it's in our books, too.

I read The Curious Secrets of Yesterday [on Goodreads] by Namrata Patel.



I didn't set out to read it as an example of a social media fiction book. I think it was recommended to me on some platform and I downloaded it to my Kindle. 

The book didn't start out about social media. It's about a young woman living and working with her mother and grandmother in Salem, MA. They own an Ayurveda spice shop, and the young woman is training (recalcitrantly) to be a spice healer and ultimately take over. Without giving away the plot ... at one point a mysterious social media account pops up for the spice shop. It promotes the shop, although somewhat inaccurately. They can't figure out who runs it. And then it leads to trouble. It's not the main plot line, but is an important plot device. Beyond that, the book has family drama and romance. It's hopeful. Not too heavy. Thoroughly enjoyable. 


1 comment:

  1. Oooh this sounds interesting! Thanks for the recommendation. I need a new book. :)

    ReplyDelete