Search This Blog

Friday 14 July 2023

Google Maps

 One of our tools for next week is Google Maps. You probably use it all the time, but have you REALLY used it? Have you created a map? Have you engaged others in participatory map making?

It’s surprisingly easy.

Here’s a map I created when ISLT was doing a faculty search during COVID. We couldn’t bring our candidates to campus, and they had to make decision about whether they wanted to move here, sight unseen. I created the map and then asked my colleagues and some of the students to contribute pins to the map. What do you think?


7 comments:

  1. I have used Maps extensively, but never this feature. I didn’t even know it was an option. Because maps can be created programmatically, I’ve done and taught a lot in that space and how to embed it into websites and social media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea!
    I have used Google Map to plan my holiday when I made a roadtrip to California a few yeras ago. My map was for personal use and only consisted in putting marks on the map to calculate distance and driving time, but I now see the multiple purposes it can serve, both for individual and collective use.
    When a group of students came back from their time abroad last month, I asked them to mark on a map where they did their international internship and to include a picture and a short summary of their experience so we discuss it in class. To do that, I used Genially but I realize I could have done just the same with a tool everybody knows ;-).
    Thanks a lot for sharing this unexpected use of a common online tool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one of our classmates included maps like this in her Padlet as part of her sharing and tracking assignment on museums. Take a look, it's awesome!

      Delete
  3. Created a map? I did not know this could be done! I think this is a really fun and cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I love Google products! Team no iphone 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea about this map making feature in Google Maps. Thanks for sharing this. I could see this being used for groups to determine good spots to meet up that are proximal to most members.

    ReplyDelete